Saturday, August 26, 2006

Over half way there!

10 weeks down, 8 to go. This morning I ran 17 miles. It was exhilirating. I finished in 3 hours, 8 minutes. I have had a hard time deciding whether to incoporate walking breaks into my running during these long distances. Today gave me the confidence that I can actually complete this marathon without walk breaks (I hope!). I do plan to walk at aid stations so I don't run over anyone or swalllow my water wrong and choke to death. That would be bad. All this training and then I don't swallow right.

Last night I spent the night at Chris and Charles' house. Chris and I had planned to run 8 miles last night but I got stuck in horrible traffic on GW Parkway (It took me 40 minutes to get from the McLean exit to Turkey Run...frustrating). Anways, I didn't get to Chris's until 7:30 or a little after and then we didn't get to the new trail we were trying until almost 8....the sun sets just before 8 pm these days. The new trail was hard to find, turned out to be concrete, and it was getting dark. We ran for all of 5 to 10 minutes and gave up. We walked for a while, talked through some strategy and called it a night. We picked Charles up and went for sushi...yummmm.

We decided to keep an 11 minute/mile pace for the run today. You learn through training that your long runs should be a minute to 90 seconds or more slower than your race pace. This has been a challenge for me. I want to run 10 min/mile for every run. That makes it simple, I times my mileage by 10 and that's how many minutes it will take to run...kinda like the metric system. I am learning to start out sloooowwwww and then I can speed up towards the end. This is a strategy that works and I know it. It worked for my half-marathon and it worked today. Our first mile was a little long...more like twelve minutes but from there on out I tried my damnest to stay at 11 min/mile pace. At mile 13, I started picking it up and the last two miles, I know I did a bit better than a 10 min/mile pace. It felt great!

Chris and I ended up running most of the distance alone (by ourselves). She fell back which is probably pretty smart because I tend to get ahead of myself. I was nervous that I might run out of energy or "hit the wall" but it never came. This is due to running smart. I drink water every 20 to 30 minutes or more often as needed, eat a gel every 45 minutes (with water), and then drink gatorade for the last 30 - 45 minutes as needed. I have learned that the sports beans are too heavy for me and cause stomach trouble. The gels seem to be the right consistency for easy digestion and if taken every 45 minutes, give me the energy I need. My favorite so far is the banana flavor. Having the gels actually makes the run easier because you have something to look forward to...I get to eat in so many minutes, YAY! Now, I bet you are wondering how I carry all this on me. I bought a fuel belt with six water bottles and a pouch. I highly recommend it. It's my "gas tank" and I love it. The location of the water bottles are evenly spaced on the belt to distribute the weight on your waist.

All the running is taking its toll on my legs. I am not in pain but I can tell there are aches in my knees. Today I didn't have too much trouble with my legs but I think it is because we were running on a gravel/dirt path. I am considering beginning to take glucosamine but have to do my research first. I don't like to take any kind of medicine or supplements...heck, it's rare that I pop an ibuprofen but if that stuff really does help your joints, then I plan to look into it.

Other things I have learned through training:
1. Eat your (complex) carbs. Especially a good dinner midweek and the night before the weekend long run. Complex carbs are the whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, etc.
2. Stick to the training program. The more I run, the more prepared I will be come race day.
3. HOWEVER, I must run smart. Quality is better than quantity in most cases. You can't make up a run...don't try. If I miss a run, I just get back on schedule the next day. If I miss multiple runs (which I don't do), I am hurting myself.
4. Think ahead...build extra week(s) into the training plan for vacations, trips for work, etc.
5. Stay hydrated and fueled....drink water on runs 6 miles or more or any runs in the heat. Drink water and eat on runs over 8 or 9 miles.
6. It's more mental than anything else. My body can handle it if I train properly. I have to maintain control over my thoughts.
8. On the mental note, appreciate what running does for you not just physcially but emotionally and spiritually. Without running, I would have never noticed the peaceful nature of a doe leading her fawn across the path just ahead of me or a chubby little groundhog trying to keep pace with me. I wouldn't have that time to sort through thoughts, daydream, THINK. How can I not become deeper spiritually when I know where I was just 4 years ago and where I am now? Enough of that sentimental stuff...
7. REST is vital, at least two days a week... no running. One of those days can be cross-training, though.

Ok, I am done thinking for right now...more to come!

1 Comments:

Blogger Super Babe said...

I **really** liked your post! I'm in Holland right now, and I'm excited about running on Saturday with Christine in Amsterdam! This has been great for me: to realize that traveling doesn't have to mean that I don't get to run (I've gotten to run in Berlin, Heerhugowaard (Holland), and I'll get to run in Amsterdam, Zeuthen (in Germany) and Paris!)... I just have to plan my runs in advance! (and considering that I love planning, it's great!)...

Glad your 17 mi run went well! Take care and keep blogging :)

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home