Monday, April 10, 2006

The day after my first 10K

Yesterday I ran my first 10K. It didn't feel like anything "first" necessarily since I have run over 6 miles before...several times. I woke up yesterday morning at 6 am and left my house a little after 6:30 am to head to Columbia, MD. I arrived, got my race packet, and ran into Charles (Chris's husband). The three of us waited for the race in a coffee shop and I had about a half a cup of coffee. At least we were inside where it is warm!

This race was definitely interesting and kept my mind engaged due to the hills. Sometimes races on flat courses can get a little boring even though they are faster and not as draining. I would say about half of the course was some sort of hill even if it was a gentle incline. We finished the hills after about 5 miles and the last mile was downhill or flat except for one little incline right before the end of mile 5. There were about 1200 other runners and Drew was one of them. I didn't see him until the end of the race but we went to the post-race brunch together. Apparently he passed Chris and I in the first mile but didn't say "hi".

Chris and I are really good for one another. I am glad to have her in my life. I don't think I would be where I am in my running if it wasn't for her. She pushed me to do my first 5k. During the race we discovered we really do compliment each other. I was the power on the uphills keeping us going strong and she rocketed us on the downhills reminding me to let my legs carry me on the downhill. Amazingly the race went by fast and wasn't bad at all. My energy level was good and we kept a good pace. My goal was to finish in 60 to 62 minutes. I gave a range depending on the hill situation. I finished in 59:39.55 minutes. That's a pace of 9:36.42 minutes/mile. I am pleased.

Today I ran 5 miles on my usual route. I could feel the effects from the race yesterday. I should have stretched after the race, dammit! My calves and especially quads were tight. In fact, my quads made the run less than pleasant. I still did 5 miles in 51:03 minutes which seemed a bit remarkable considering I walked a little due to my quads. Looking at my time, I started questioning whether I really ran 5 miles. I knew I had driven the path before but double checked to make sure. I drove it again and sure enough...right at 5 miles. The weather was so beautiful, I love this time of year and I love the fact that I enjoy it so much more than I ever did before.

Earlier today during our Monday Morning Meeting (MMM) at work, our team leader asked each of us to complete the sentence "I want to.....". My answer was simply "teach". There is so much I want to do....more than I can even write down, but there at 8:30 am this morning, it all came down to one of my basic desires.

I want to see every continent.
I want to visit every state.
I want to talk to random strangers more often.
I want to laugh every single day.
I want to skydive.
I want to run a marathon.
I want to go to space.
I want to be appointed by the President to do something.
I want to be President one day.
I want to learn to sail.
I want to be as comfortable as I am now or more so for the rest of my life.
I want to fall in love.
I want to get married (someday).
I want to raise children.
I want to coach little league.
I want to make a difference in someone's life.
I want to go home.
I want to do a century this summer (100 mile bike ride).
I want to go to the beach (and sleep outside there).
I want to buy a Corvette and then sell if after a year.
I want to find a church where I can truly grow.
I want to finish my Ph.D.
I want to lose 15 more lbs.
I want to move up the career ladder.
I want to know that the best years of my life are right now and ahead of me and not behind me (you know what, though? I already know this for a fact...the best is yet to come).
I want to dote on my niece and here her laughter.
I want to know that I am loved.
I want to live to be 100 and healthy.
I want to be a professor.
I want to prove that the test I am doing is one way of determining bond strength (even if it's not the most fundamental).
I want to tell my friends how important they are to me.
I want to be able to be more loving with my family.
I want to continue to add to this list for many, many years....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home