Sunday, March 19, 2006

Week wrap-up

This week has been a good week for running. It's my first week to run 20 miles in one week. On Tuesday, I cross trained by going to the driving range to hit some golf balls. I hadn't played golf since I moved to D.C. and actually probably haven't played in about two years. It showed!! I think it took me about ten times just to make contact with the ball. I soon figured out that I was pulling my head and right shoulder up and needed to slow down and relax as well. Either way, it was beautiful seeing a full moon rise in the east and I enjoyed being outside. Spring is here!

On Wednesday, I ran in the gym on the treadmill. I did 3 miles in about 29 minutes on a 2% incline. Thursday was my day of rest since it was a full day of meetings, a work happy hour and then going to a concert with Maureen. On Friday, I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill in about 46 minutes (I think?). I did a 2% incline most of the way and increased the incline to 5% for about 1/4 of a mile and then did the last 1.5 miles at 2.5% incline. I also did strength and stretching.
On Saturday, I golfed with some friends in Manasses. It was a beautiful day but chilly with a strong wind.

Today, was my long run. I ran 8 miles in 1:27:12, which is a pace of 10:52 minutes/mile. I am pleased with my time!!! My average heart rate was 149 bpm which is the low end (70% of max heart rate) of my target heart rate zone for cardiovasular activity. I also burned 675 calories.

This is the first time I have run this far and found it got easier, the longer I ran. It was difficult at some points, especially since there were rolling hills with several big ones, but I just kept pressing on. In the beginning I could feel a tug in my left knee but the feeling subsided about a mile or so into the run. I can definitely feel the distance, though, in my legs. Mind over body...

The run today has given me the confidence to know that I can do the half marathon. I am especially proud of the fact that I ran the entire distance without my music. The rhythm of my breathing helps keep my pace. Thinking back now, I can't remember what all I thought about but I know that it doesn't necessarily matter. I was focused and finished and without water. I didn't sleep much last night due to drinking lots of coffee yesterday which is rare for me. The caffeine has such a profound effect on my body now when I drink coffee. In face, the caffeine was probably still at work today because I woke up by 9 am and has had lots of energy today. I made up for this caffeine intake this morning by drinking lot of water. I know I will crash tonight and sleep well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home