Friday, August 04, 2006

Where have I been?

I realize I have not wrote in a month. Why? Because I am busy running! I know I need to write more, but it has been a busy summer. So what's been going on since I last wrote? Well, I am now on week 8 of my training. The "true" way I identify my weeks, though, is by the length of my long run. Tomorrow I will run 15 miles. Last week I did 14. The first 9 miles went very smooth since I was running with Chris and Lisa. However, the last few miles were slower. My legs were hurting. I learned that I ran the first 9 too fast. That is my biggest challenge....slowing down my pace so that I can go the distance. I am not a fast runner in the first place but it must eventually sink in that I can't do 15 miles at a 10:00/mile pace. I learned that on the 14 mile run.
The past two weeks of running have been excellent (ever since I returned from a surprise visit to Nashville for my Mom's b-day). Before that, my motivation had been waning but it's back and seems to be back with a vengeance. I hope it stay and carries over to my dissertation!
I am a bit perplexed that my running went so well this week. I have had several late nights, staying up until 3 am, working on a paper. Wednesday night I didn't sleep at all. It's curious the effect that stress (and coffee) has on our bodies. I seem to be more sensitive to caffeine now than I have ever been in my life and wonder if running contributes to the effect.
Tonight I ran about 7 miles. I did a regular loop around McLean that I have run many times but just recently started running it in the reverse direction for a change. I had a great run...felt good, steady pace. There was record-breaking heat this week but today felt great.
My thoughts went back to last summer and how I spent my time then. Now, I spend my time running. It's been a year and I am in a better place. It's all about progress....

I am going to make an effort to post more often. Until then....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home