Saturday, April 15, 2006

Why do I do it?

Today I had a great run. Chris picked me up at 8:30 am and we headed off to the Mt. Vernon Bike Trail (http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/mvtmap.html) to run 10 miles. The sun came out and it was breezy. The first part of the run was nice because the trail wasn't too crowded. As the morning progressed the trail got more crowded. As usual, I suddenly had to pee after running the first mile. So frustrating! I was searching for anywhere (restroom not required, bushes will do) I might take a "potty" break. Finding appropriate bushes is IMPOSSIBLE running between D.C. and Arlington along GW Parkway. Fortunately there were port-a-jons at Gravelly Point. Problem solved.

I am so glad I have Chris to run with...there were a few times I might have been able to talk myself into stopping if I had been alone. Once we reached the 7.5 to 8 mile point on the way back, I got a second wind. I think it may just be a matter of wanting to get done and SOON. I took off and ran a faster pace until I reached the car. Chris got a little tired but wasn't far behind. It felt so good to finish and know we did it!! I think the distance may actually be a little less than 10 miles now that I look at the map, but close enough. I finished in 1:39. Not bad...

Last night, Friday, I rested and on Thursday I did weights and stretching. Tomorrow I am hoping to get out on my bike, in fact, I may carry it with me to my friend's house so I can bike in a new area.

I felt so good after my run today. I can't describe how well and confident running makes me feel. As if I need any more doses of confidence. I find it's a different confidence than what I am used to, though. I truly understand the concept of runner's high now. Chris and I were discussing during our run why we do it. I mentioned the runner's high, the endorphins and all. But Chris probed further with the question: what makes you start? Why do I voluntarily wake up early on the weekend and run miles or races?

Why do I do it? It's a two-edged sword, really. I need it, but don't. I love it, but dread it at times. I have mastered it, but still have A LOT to learn. It keeps me healthy, but can be hard on my body. I like to compete and run with others, but usually do it alone. It stimulates my body but, most of all, my brain. I do the same runs on a regular basis (i.e. training) but constantly surprise myself.

I love running and what it does for me as a person. Running has taken me across the Atlantic by myself, running has got me to a place I have never been physically and keeps me there, running is going to get me my Ph.D., running has gained me friends, running has taught me the importance of supporters (i.e. family, a companion), running shows me the omnipresence and steadfastness of God in our world, running has helped me to be an inspiration to others and at the end of it all, isn't that what is important and why I'm glad I am here?

Running is a metaphor for life. Everything more easily comes into perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home