Tuesday, April 18, 2006

New shoes!

Today I bought new running shoes after deliberating for a week or so. I finally figured it is better to err on the conservative side and have shoes that are in good shape for the race. I ran in the shoes this afternoon on the treadmill (5 miles, 50.5 minutes, 1% incline). The shoes felt good and it felt good to run after a couple of days. I haven't run since my long run on Saturday because I woke up Sunday with a slight knee injury. The outside of my knee was sore when I walked (bending it) and tender when I applied pressure. At first I didn't think much of it, but since it didn't go away as the day went on, I investigated on the internet. I believe it is Iliotibial Band Syndrome. They recommend rest, ice, compression and elevation. So I rested on Sunday, iced it a couple of times and elevated it when I slept. I decided to rest on Monday as well and just walked on the treadmill and did the arm machine (which I don't care for). I stretched as well. The injury is a good wake up call for me that I need to strengthen my leg muscles and stretch my outer and inner thighs. I didn't have any trouble with my run today, thankfully.

I think the knee problem was not necessarily from running but more from swing dancing on Saturday night. So, no more dancing until after my race....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home