Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Toll

Well, my running and lack of sleep this past Saturday caught up with me this week. I have struggled on my runs the past couple of days. I am proud to say, though, that I endured and logged the miles. On Monday, I had planned to run 5 miles but had to give up the treadmill after 3.5 miles. It was a good run considering I had done my long run the day before. On Tuesday, the treadmill was not available so I cross-trained. I did 20 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes on the bike, and 5 minutes on the stair climber. I personally can't tell that the stair climber is that effective. Wednesday, I set out to run 5 miles but struggled. It was one of my most challenging runs to date. I just didn't have my usual energy and my heart rate was elevated. Usually my heart rate is around 150 bpm but on that day it was running closer to 160 bpm. I kept running but at mile 4 I had to back it off and walk for a little while. I walked 0.2 miles and then started running again. After my run, I did stretching and some strength on my arms, chest and back. Today, I ran 5 miles again and was still struggling. Once I got about 3 miles into my run, I got a burst of energy and was able to complete the distance runnning 10 minutes/mile. I let down the incline, though, so that helped. I stretched afterwards.

I realize this week that I am in the most difficult time of my training...the month leading up to the event. I know I am no elite runner, but I have never run these distances before and it does somewhat takes it toll. I know every mile I log, though, brings me closer to my goal so I continue to push through. I always feel good when I complete a run.

I had another disappointment this week. I gained 1.6 lbs. when I weighed last night. I have been steadily losing the past month. I realize my body has to adjust sometimes so it could be due to water weight (I had a lot of sodium with dinner the night before) or the build up to that time of the month. Either way, it reigns me in and I have to be ultra aware of what I put in my mouth if I am going to continue to lose. I must err on the conservative side when tracking my food. I think my body is trying to tell me that it is happy with where it's at, but I am not satisfied yet. The story of my life...I am never satisfied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home