Saturday, December 02, 2006

I love 5Ks

They're simple, they're quick, and make you feel good. This morning my friend Heather and I ran a 5K in McLean. I decided to run and support this 5K since it is in my community and I am happy to only have to drive 5 minutes to a race. This 5K raises money for the medical bills of a young man that is paralyzed after diving into shallow water. Definitely not your traditional cause but I am glad I did the race. It was the organizer's first 5K and it showed. The race was scheduled to begin at 8:30 AM and didn't start until after 9 AM probably closer to 9:30 AM. The response was overwhelming. I overheard folks saying that over 1200 people registered! That's why 5Ks make you feel good...they are a manageable distance so lots and lots of people can participate.

Heather and I ended up at the front of the start line which is good since there were no chips. I was concerned we were going to get run over though, but we started out fast. The course was a bit challenging with some long hills, but a great course overall and I never got bored. After the halfway point I noticed Heather wasn't behind me anymore so I walked backwards a while to wait for her. We had decided at the beginning we were doing this together. We finished in 31 minutes and Heather was pleased. This was the longest she had run while sustaining a 10 min/mile pace. Keep in mind, though, that Heather has completed a marathon and provided inspiration and tips to me while I was training for mine...not to mention ran several miles of it with me.

After we grabbed a postrace bagel and banana and headed to MFR for breakfast, yum. I saw my supervisor from work and his family and I got to see his new baby girl...she is beautiful, full of smiles and favors him.

I really enjoyed the sense of community this race had. McLean is where I live and work and even though I didn't know anyone, I was quite impressed with the turnout. At MFR everyone was asking each other if they did the race and how did they do....really nice.

Changing subjects, I haven't been following a training program since the marathon. I have just been doing whatever feels good. This week I only ran on Monday and Thursday. However I still went to the gym every day except Friday (rest day). I have been doing the bike and the elliptical for at least 40 minutes each day. I get a hard workout in by setting the resistance high. Afterwards, twenty minutes of weights and/or stretching.

Gotta go run some errands now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home