Saturday, October 07, 2006

Humbled

Ever heard of Murphy's Law? This morning if it could go wrong, it did. Not for me, but for my girlfriends. Alex locked herself out of her room so I had to go get her instead of she meeting at my house. Thankfully she already had her running gear on. I called Chris to tell her we're running late and she was still asleep...accidently overslept. We had wanted to start running at 7 am and didn't start until close to 8.

We decided to run a loop that starts at the MC Memorial, took us through G'town, up Rock Creek Park/Beach Dr. to the MD border and then around to the G'town Branch Trail and CC Trail. It would be a change from our normal long runs but we had to follow a map and be aware of turns, etc. The run started out well until I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up near the Marriot Wardman Park hotel. Thanks to TRB, I knew where I was. I proceeded up to the zoo and then ran through the zoo to meet back with the girls. They were nice to wait on me since they ended up reaching the zoo before me. This took me at least 1/2 mile out of my way. We continued on and then it started raining, a steady pour while I ran along Beach Drive. It was cool as well; in the 50s. As usual, I was by myself most of the run.

This run was very difficult physically and mentally. Physically, my right hip is giving me trouble. I don't know if I don't stretch the outer muscle that connects my hip to my knee enough or if it is just something I have to deal with. It's more annoying than painful but today it was painful. I was well aware that I could just stop. stop. stop. stop running. But, I didn't.

Mentally, there are no mile markers so no way to keep pace. One thing that occupies my mind while I run is calculating my splits and determining how fast I can finish/pace, etc. I did not have that to occupy my mind. By the time I reached a place where I knew how many miles we had gone, I was so busy making sure we were headed the right direction that I couldn't figure out the pace. I must say, though, it is a beautiful area. I understand why it is so popular. I am grateful to be aware of it now so next time I can enjoy it on my bike.

Finally we reached the G'town Branch Trial and Lisa pointed us the right way cause I wasn't sure which way to take. We passed City Bikes and I knew where I was, I had ridden my bike here before. Finally we reached the CC Trail and was home free, well, sort of...about 6.5 to 7 miles. I had decided on my run that I would run for 4 hours or 21 miles (whichever was first) and then would stop. Anything over that and I would be doing more damage than helping. Well, I reached four hours and decided to keep going. I finally reached 21 miles and stopped at 4:16. The time was much worse than my previous 20 miler which I did in 3:39. We had to walk from G'town to the MC Corps memorial and that was tough.

My run today was quite humbling and tore at my confidence. I have been very confident regarding the race until today. Fear entered my mind today...not that I won't finish, but that I won't do as well as I would like to. I don't deal well with doubt. The run was good for me, though, in making me realize that it won't be easy and I should be well aware of that. We ran in awful conditions this morning, on a course with no mile markers, and we still finished. We can do it.

So here are my thoughts on the last long run before the Marathon:
1. Choose a course you are somewhat familiar with or you are at least familiar with part of the course. You want to continue building confidence with this run.
2. Choose a course with mile markers.
4. Don't choose a run that requires a long walk back to your car/house after you finish running. It is hard to walk.
3. If you're running in the rain, get a rain slicker. Dress warm and in layers where you can take things off and tie around your waist.
4. Be sure to get enough sleep. Sleep in the day or two before this last long run.

I'm tired and can't think of anything else right now.

I made it, I just completed the peak of my training. Now it's time to taper!

1 Comments:

Blogger Super Babe said...

Wow Audrelia! That's tough! But like you said, it helps you be humble and remember that running a marathon is not that simple! Sorry about your hip... I'm sure stretching will help. I've been having problems with my feet... so not fun! Check out my blog whenever you get a chance, and from there check out Christine's (my "lesbian lover"), she just posted about her marathon! I'm planning to do my 20 miler in Utah (I'll be visiting Isabel) -- I've already mapped it, and I guess I'll have her drive me around to get an idea - hopefully my freakiness will help me get familiar with it over the internet, so that when the time comes, I'll know approximate distances by street intersections and the such... Thanks for sharing all your efforts... As usual, YOU ROCK!!! :)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home