Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"But, I ain't seen nothin' yet..."

"Loosen up my buttons, babe...." yeah, so that seems to be my chosen soundtrack right now. Gotta love Snoop Dogg. It's 11:45 pm and my butt should be in bed so I can hit the pavement by 7 AM for a 5 mile run, instead I have decided to write. I ran a little over 6 miles this evening around my 'hood. It was a great run once I got going. I hit every hill and didn't back down. I ran strong at the end. It felt good and my confidence has somewhat recovered from this weekend.

I realize that my running style mirrors my life and personality. First, I am an optimist/dreamer through and through. The long run this weekend helped me to realize that I was being too optimistic in my "ideal" finishing time for the marathon. Usually I am quite conservative about these things but for some reason until this weekend, I was thinking I could do the marathon in a shorter time than is realistic for my level right now. I have to keep in my mind why I am doing this. Second, I am a bit of a loner. Don't get me wrong, I love to socialize and be among people but deep down, I am a loner. I tend to prefer to run alone and have noticed that even on my long runs with my girlfriends, I end up running alone. Third, I am a thinker. My work keeps me active so there isn't much time for thinking there, my life is hectic these days and that doesn't afford much time for just thinking, I no longer sit in classes part of the day (which was a great time to think/daydream), and I don't have a commute where I can think while driving/sitting in traffic. Thus, running is now my thinking time. And by thinking I don't necessarily mean purposeful thinking (most thoughts are quite irrelevant, actually). I typically just let the thoughts flow...whatever comes to mind. If I want, I dwell on it, otherwise I let it pass. I guess it's a combination thinking/meditation. I have really come to enjoy this time. Final observation, I am a listener. I notice that when I run with my girlfriends, I end up listening more often than talking. I don't mind this at all and prefer it. Sometimes I have something to say/add and sometimes I simply listen. I know I am among a friend when someone understands this about me and can appreciate/tolerate the silence.

Tomorrow I am flying to Champaign, IL for some meetings. I am looking forward to seeing the U. of Illinois campus. Hopefully I can fit in a run on Friday.

Ok, gotta get some shut eye...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home