Monday, February 20, 2006

Hurdles

I just got done doctoring myself, which involved washing the itty bitty pieces of gravel off of my scrapes and then dousing the scrapes with hydrogen peroxide. Yes, that's right, I fell today on my run. Not just any fall, I faceplanted. Belly-flopped. ATE gravel. I still catch a few pieces between my teeth every now and again as I sit here smackin' on a piece of gum. I was at the office earlier and decided to do my run along my usual path. I got about a mile into my run and there is an orange construction fence. Part of the fence is lower than the rest and I got the bright idea that I could leap over it. What I didn't realize until it was too late was that it had been pushed over and was at an angle. My back foot caught the aluminum wire holding the fence up and in one of those moments like you see in the Road Runner and Coyote cartoon, I knew I was going down. You know, the moment where the coyote has just realized that he has gone over the cliff and he is stuck in midair a few seconds with this look on his face like "Oh, shit". As I realized my foot caught, I swear time stopped there for a second as that priceless look crossed my face and then, BOOM. My whole body hit the gravel. Thankfully, due to the construction, it was small gravel and not hard pavement. I sat there for a few seconds until my head quit spinning and then made sure my nose wasn't bleeding or, worse, broke. I got up and realized the front of my shirt and pants were painted with gravel. My right knee was busted up pretty good and bleeding and my left ankle had bruises and a small cut on it. My face felt awful but from what I could tell, I wasn't bleeding (later I found out I had a few very small scrapes on my chin, nose area, and larger scrape above my left eye...nothing major, though). I felt like the right side of my face had been pushed up through my nose. I dusted myself off, wiped my face clean, walked it off and then continued my run. I ran a little over three more miles. I have no idea how fast my run was or my heartrate because I forgot my stopwatch. It was ok, though, cause every once in a while, it's nice just to run and not worry about time or anything. I was back in the office within about 55 minutes, fall and all.

I realize I haven't posted in a couple of days so I will catch you up. On Wednesday (Feb. 15), I did a four mile run on the treadmill and some strength training. On Thursday (Feb. 16), I strictly did strength training and stretching. Friday (Feb. 17), I did my long run since Megan and Louis were coming to visit this weekend and I wouldn't have a chance to do it then. My long run was 6 miles on the treadmill and I did it in about 63 minutes. It was a good run and I realized that breaking it into three 2-mile segments made it seem more accomplishable. This weekend, we did some walking so I am counting that as my cross-training this week. I know, it's lame, but I had guests.

My knee hurts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home