Sunday, October 07, 2007

Whatever my little running princesses want...

That's what CR said when we got in the car after the Army 10-miler today. He knew it didn't go well. It was my worst race yet and I think it is safe to say the same for Chris, as well. We stuck together, though, and finished in about 1:51:30 (unofficial, according to my watch). The race started well, but temp. were already in the 70s and the humidity was ridiculously high. We ran a little over 10 min/mile for the first four miles or so, but then things started falling apart. Druing mile 4, though, when I was starting to bitch in my head I came upon an amputee in a wheelchair. He looked very young and he was using his one good leg to propel the wheelchair and was only using his arms to keep him going straight and on the path...AMAZING. I got a little emotional and scolded myself for complaining in my head about running.

The next few miles were uneventful, but difficult. It was a constant battle in my head to want to to stop running because I was tired, I had a headache, I needed to (as Chris puts it) drop the kids off at the pool, it was hot and I was soaking wet from the humidity. I am tired because I have been sick this week with a cold. I thought I had a headache as a result of not having coffee this morning. After 50 minutes, I ate a gel with 2X caffeine, but that didn't relieve the headache so I knew I was dehydrated. My energy levels never returned even after eating the gel. After hitting mile 8, things went really south. We even walked some. Near the finish, we saw HW and CR and HW snapped a picture where (come to find out later) Chris was giving her an "Audrey" special (the finger on each hand, straight up).

Ok, so here is what I learned:
1. Don't get cocky. 10 miles is nothing to laugh at even though my weekend runs vary from 8 to 13 miles. Just because you can physically cover 10 miles does not mean you are truly physically or mentally trained for the race.
2. If you don't train, you will suffer. This is the first long race I have not followed a training schedule. I ran long runs on the wekeend, however I did not run during the week except maybe once (I rode a bike instead). If you want to perform, you have to train.
3. Bike riding does not substitute for running. It can keep you in good cardiovascular shape, but if you are working towards a race, you need to run, run, run.
4. Sushi is not a good pre-race dinner. I starved the second half of the race.
5. Temp and humidity have a huge impact on your speed and peformance, especially humidity. In high humidity, your body cannot cool as effectively and you must slow down. We have been blessed with mild temperatures for training runs, however race day was hot and humid. In fact, I just read an aticle that a guy died today less than 200 yards from the finish line.
6. Don't forget to HYDRATE before a race.

Even though today was tough, we set out to run 10 miles and enjoy the race. By enjoy, I mean check out the hot military guys. I am happy to have got a 10 mile run under my belt and was even happier with the scenery. If you want to see some fine men and cut bodies, this is your race...Wowy.

After a delicious breakfast at MFR, we initiated CR this morning, I came home and napped for over 2 hours. Now, that proves how tired I am. I still woke up with a headache and finally decided to pop some pain reliever. While we were running, Chris and I discussed what we planned to do for the rest of the day. She siad she was going to get a bottle of wine and some cheese and sit around and drink and eat. I said my plan was to get a six pack, sit on the couch, watch football and maybe order pizza for dinner. Speaking of dinner, I need to make a phone call...

2 Comments:

Blogger Super Babe said...

LOL on the Audrey special!

Audrelia, I am amazed! I heard such bad things about it, and how they ran out of water, and all... I am glad you "only" were a bit dehyradated and didn't end up in the hospital or something!

1. I agree (PLUS the humidity is a big factor -- I thought of maybe doing the Berlin marathon, but after seeing this and hearing about how last year it was hot and humid I'm thinking maybe not... don't want to invite my migraines back again!)

2. Yep, especially for such a long race!

3. Indeed.

4. I guess ;) Never thought about it though...

5. 6. Yes. That is why I used to get bad migraines sometimes when I was running...

I finally got off my lazy butt and joined the ridiculously expensive gym (like most here) that is behind my house. It rained so much during the summer that even on the days that I wanted /could run, it was not feasible. So... of course this week I had a "cold" with fever and all, so I had to skip it, but maybe tomorrow I will feel better... and, the treadmills and bikes even have little personal fans!!! :)

I miss you... and hope you're doing well. Any visits planned to Europe? You know.. there is a couch in Berlin with your name on it :)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Super Babe said...

LOL on the Audrey special!

Audrelia, I am amazed! I heard such bad things about it, and how they ran out of water, and all... I am glad you "only" were a bit dehyradated and didn't end up in the hospital or something!

1. I agree (PLUS the humidity is a big factor -- I thought of maybe doing the Berlin marathon, but after seeing this and hearing about how last year it was hot and humid I'm thinking maybe not... don't want to invite my migraines back again!)

2. Yep, especially for such a long race!

3. Indeed.

4. I guess ;) Never thought about it though...

5. 6. Yes. That is why I used to get bad migraines sometimes when I was running...

I finally got off my lazy butt and joined the ridiculously expensive gym (like most here) that is behind my house. It rained so much during the summer that even on the days that I wanted /could run, it was not feasible. So... of course this week I had a "cold" with fever and all, so I had to skip it, but maybe tomorrow I will feel better... and, the treadmills and bikes even have little personal fans!!! :)

I miss you... and hope you're doing well. Any visits planned to Europe? You know.. there is a couch in Berlin with your name on it :)

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home