Sunday, July 13, 2014

Starting Over

I took a break from serious running in 2010 and switched over to cycling which I embraced wholeheartedly with spin classes and a new road bike. It's now 2014 and I picked up running again last year by training for a 10 miler and half marathon on back to back weekends. However, my running was slow and I was not as dedicated to my training as I should be. I got my long runs in, but my weekly runs were inconsistent. In fact, I've been jogging inconsistently for about two years now. I call it jogging when I have some walking interspersed with the running. I'll go out and do 2-3 miles here and there and even up to 4 or 5 miles with some walking. The lesson I've learned...consistency is key with running. Thus, even though I can run 3 miles (albeit slowly), I decided to start over. My goal is consistency. I started the very simple couch to 5k training program a few weeks ago and I think it's great! It's super easy, but that's what I want right now in order to build my consistency and confidence. Unfortunately, I had a few injuries the week before last due to another hobby, so I took a week off, but I'm back at it now and in the third week of the program. It's quite humbling to be doing this couch to 5k program considering my past running, but I'm not ashamed to know that sometimes you just have to start from the beginning to get back to where you were. This morning's workout consisted of the warm up, 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking repeated twice and then a cool down. It's so doable that I have no excuse for getting out the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home